21 Feb 2014
Easy egg free pancake recipe with a 'how to make it' video (dairy, gluten, nut and soya free too!)
Posted: 21 Feb 2014
Well these went down a storm - American style pancakes with a chocolate twist, topped with slices of banana, custard and then drizzled in chocolate sauce! They're simple to make, taste amazing and free from eggs, dairy, gluten, nuts, soya and sesame.
With Pancake Day on the horizon I wanted to create a pancake that was a step up from the norm. Last year I opted for savoury ones (you can check out my spinach 'Monster Pancake Face' here) so this year I was in need of the sweet stuff again. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll never get bored of the classics - be it lemon & sugar or golden syrup, but I'm always keen to indulge in a bit of inventiveness.
So last weekend 'Niece' and I set to work and started filming a How To Make Free From Chocolate Pancakes, for other children to enjoy and create themselves (with a little help) this Pancake Day (Tuesday 4th March).
It's been a busy week of editing, with days turning into nights. And I'm pretty sure I've single-handedly kept coffee companies in business this week too, with the amount of cups I've drunk. But I've loved it, including all the retakes and bloopers (what do they say about working with kids?!) If you want to see us in action, click on this link to watch our short video.
A big thank you to everyone who responded to my query last weekend too - regarding traces of the above allergens in Bird's Custard Powder (social media is amazing). You gave it the all clear and so did Premiere Foods who were able to confirm on Monday morning. That said, please remember to always check every product label for allergens and allergen traces before consuming. Manufacturing processes and ingredients can change frequently.
If you attempt to make these pancakes before or on Pancake Day I'd love to know. Leave a comment below or you can always contact me on Facebook or Twitter. I know they'll certainly be on the menu again here come Pancake Day! Enjoy ;)
Chocolate pancakes with banana, custard & chocolate sauce!
Ingredients (Makes 10 -12 American style pancakes)
250g gluten-free plain flour
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
35g cocoa powder
300ml dairy-free milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 tbsp Bird's Custard Powder
2 tbsp sugar
500ml dairy-free milk
60g cocoa powder
2 bananas (sliced to decorate) or you can use blackberries, raspberries or other berries of your choice, even apple purée makes a great substitution.
1. Pancakes In a large bowl sift and mix together the gluten-free flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Then add your dairy-free milk, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and whisk to make a smooth batter. Set aside while you make the toppings!
2. Thick Custard First, mix together the custard powder and sugar with a splash of dairy-free milk to make a paste. Then slowly warm up the rest of your dairy-free milk in a saucepan, add your paste and stir over low heat for 3-4 minutes until the custard becomes thick & creamy.
3. Chocolate Sauce Place all the ingredients in a saucepan. Slowly heat, stirring continuously on a gentle simmer until you reach your desired thickness.
4. Time to cook the pancakes... Drizzle some oil in a non-stick frying pan and heat over a medium heat. For each pancake spoon 1-2 tablespoons of batter into the pan and flip your pancake over when you start to see bubbles appearing on the top (1-2 mins). Then cook for a further 30 seconds on the other side. Stack your cooked pancakes on a plate, ready for the next step.
5. The finalé! Serve by stacking two pancakes on top of each other. Add a dollop of thick custard and a few banana slices on top. Then drizzle with chocolate sauce!comments powered by Disqus