- Prep (min) 20
- Cook (min) 15
- Free from
- Dairy (DF)
- Egg (EF)
- Gluten (GF)
- Nuts (NF)
- Peanut (PF)
- Soya (SF)
- Sesame (SeF)
- Shellfish (ShF)
- Fish (FF)
Have some fun in the sun with these easy-to-make burger shaped cupcakes! Remember to let a grown-up check every packet label for allergens (and traces of allergens) before you start.
120g dairy free spread (plus extra for greasing)
270g wheat & gluten free self-raising flour
1 tsp wheat & gluten free baking powder
250ml dairy free milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
15g cocoa powder
The 'mustard' buttercream
40g dairy free spread
150g egg free icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
The 'ketchup' jam
3 tbsp strawberry/raspberry conserve or jam
+ cookie cutter (5cm approx)
1. Take one grown-up and put them in charge. Preheat your oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Line a circular 20cm cake tin with parchment paper and lightly grease. Also grease a 12 hole cake tin (not a muffin tin).
2. In a large bowl beat the dairy free spread and sugar until light and fluffy. Next, sift in the gluten free flour and add the baking powder, dairy free milk and vanilla extract. Mix to make a smooth batter but try not to mix too much, it'll make your cakes chewy.
3. Divide the mixture (60/40) into two bowls and add the cocoa powder to the smaller portion and stir. Spoon the chocolate mixture into the round cake tin and spoon a big dollop of vanilla cake mixture into each of your cake tin holes. Bake both cake mixtures in the oven on the same shelf for 15 minutes, until cupcakes are lightly golden.
4. Leave your bakes to cool completely on a wire rack while you make the 'mustard' and 'ketchup' sauces. For the 'mustard' combine the dairy free spread with the vanilla extract and only half of the icing sugar to form a thick paste. Add the remaining icing sugar and whisk until light and fluffy.
5. For the 'ketchup' spoon the conserve or jam into a bowl and stir briefly with a spoon so it feels like you've actually made it. Done! Serve both 'sauces' in bowls or funky condiment bottles for people to spoon or squirt on their burger cupcakes as they wish!
6. Next, carefully slice your vanilla 'bun' cupcakes in half and cut out six chocolate 'burgers' with a cookie cutter (5cm approx) and also slice them in half to make 12! Finally, assemble your burger cupcakes and serve with your 'sauces' on the side. Now that's what I call fun, fast food!