- Prep (min) 25
- Cook (min) 20-25
- Free from
- Dairy (DF)
- Egg (EF)
- Gluten (GF)
- Nuts (NF)
- Peanut (PF)
- Soya (SF)
- Sesame (SeF)
- Shellfish (ShF)
- Fish (FF)
Date & Ginger Reindeer Cakes!
These delicious reindeers will fly... off the plate! Remember to let a grown-up check every packet label for allergens (and traces of allergens) before you start.
140g pitted dates
125ml boiling water
80g Pure dairy free spread
80g dark muscovado sugar
180g wheat & gluten free self-raising flour
1 tsp wheat & gluten free baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
150ml dairy free milk
200g Tate & Lyle Fondant Icing Sugar
1 tbsp water
8 blueberries (noses)
1 raspberry or ½ red grape (Rudolph's nose)
Dr Oetker Soft Silver Pearls (eyes)
120g sugar (antlers)
1. Take one grown-up and put them in charge! Cover dates with 125ml of boiling water and leave to soak. Preheat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Next, count out 9 paper cases and place them in a cupcake tin.
2. In a large bowl beat the dairy free spread and muscovado sugar until pale and smooth. Next, sift in the gluten free flour, baking powder and ground ginger, then give it a quick stir.
3. Using a handblender, blitz the dates in their liquid until you reach a smooth thick purée. Add this to the bowl along with the dairy free milk and briefly mix to make a smooth batter.
4. Carefully dollop a large spoonful of mixture in each case. Pop them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the grown-up thinks they're springy to the touch! Leave to cool while you make the icing.
5. Mix the icing sugar and water together until you reach a smooth thick dough (get stuck in with your hands!) Roll out the icing to 4mm thick. Use a round pastry cutter to cut out 9 discs and place them on your cakes.
6. For the noses, top each cake with a blueberry and use one raspberry for Rudolph's nose (top tip: wet the berries with water to help them stick). Next, add two silver pearls to each cake for their eyes.
7. Only the grown-ups can make the antlers (because the sugar gets VERY, VERY HOT). Line a baking tray with baking parchment and set aside. Place the sugar in a small saucepan over a high heat for 1-2 minutes but don't stir. Now shake the pan and reduce to a low heat until the sugar melts and turns a light golden brown. Take off the heat and leave to thicken for 1 minute before drizzling 18 antler shapes on your baking tray. Once cooled, stick the antlers into each cake and your festive treats are complete!