- Prep (min) 15
- Cook (min) 25-30
- Free from
- Dairy (DF)
- Egg (EF)
- Gluten (GF)
- Nuts (NF)
- Peanut (PF)
- Soya (SF)
- Sesame (SeF)
- Shellfish (ShF)
- Fish (FF)
Pop these muffins into your lunchbox making sure to give them a cheeky wink, before you gobble them all up! Remember to let a grown-up check every packet label for allergens (and traces of allergens) before starting to cook.
350g Doves gluten free plain flour
2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
250g grated parsnip (OR 150g sundried tomatoes chopped)
200ml rice milk
100g Vitalite dairy free margarine (melted) (OR 6 tbsp sunflower oil)
60g cooking apple (cooked to a purée)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Pinch of salt & pepper
2 tbsp tomato purée (OR roasted red pepper)
6 pitted black olives (for eyes)
1. Take one grown-up and put them in charge. Wash your hands and cut 12 sheets of baking paper (roughly 15x15cm square) to line your muffin tin later on.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. In a large bowl sieve flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda. Add rosemary, garlic, parsnip, salt & pepper and mix away!
3. In a separate bowl stir together rice milk, melted margarine, apple purée and cider vinegar. Make a well in your dry mixture and pour in the liquid. Stir to combine (but not too much!)
4. Line each hole of the muffin tin with your baking sheets. Place a large spoonful of your muffin mixture into each. Top with a little squirt of tomato purée.
5. Slice black olives in half and place these on top to make the googly eyes!
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack, then delve in!
Tip: Great to pop in your lunchbox or serve warm with a soup! These muffins will keep in the freezer for up to a month (if there's any leftover!)
Watch the ingredients come to life in this short animation recipe video!