- Prep (min) 15-30
- Cook (min) 0
- Free from
- Dairy (DF)
- Egg (EF)
- Gluten (GF)
- Nuts (NF)
- Peanut (PF)
- Soya (SF)
- Sesame (SeF)
- Shellfish (ShF)
- Fish (FF)
Spooky Pumpkin Face
Have fun making all sorts of ghoulish glowing faces this Halloween. For a spooky and safe one, always let the grown ups carve.
1 grown up
1 pumpkin (small, medium or large, they all make great faces!)
1 tea light candle OR bicycle battery light
1. Take one grown up and put them in charge.
2. Using a felt tip pen or pencil, draw the best pumpkin face you can think of directly onto the skin. You can draw happy faces, sad, smiley or scary ones 'ooOOOoo' the choice is up to you! How about big eyes, missing teeth or even fangs?
3. Pumpkins are tough to cut and can be slippery, so ALWAYS let the grown up carve. Using a serrated knife cut the lid off the pumpkin and set aside for later. If you slice downwards at an angle, it'll make a bevelled edge and will help keep the lid in place.
4. Now for the fun bit... take a spoon and scoop out the pumpkin's brain (all the seeds and stringy bits!) Try to scoop some of the pulp away from where you've positioned the face, to make it easier to carve.
5. Let the grown up carefully carve out the face you drew using the serrated knife. NEVER place your hands inside the pumpkin when cutting. Place a tea light candle inside and light through the mouth OR use a bicycle battery light instead. Pop the lid back on and watch your pumpkin face (and yours), glow with excitement!
Tip: Roast the pumpkin seeds for a tasty snack - toss in oil and sprinkle with salt or cinnamon & sugar (always check ingredient labels for allergens).